Erin Hoffman is a litigator and appellate lawyer who defends class and individual consumer claims. She has worked with many of the largest financial system institutions in the country, including Capital One, U.S. Bank and Wells Fargo.
She has successfully defended clients against a variety of consumer claims and has developed a particular expertise in defending claims brought under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, working with clients such as Capital One, Bluestem Brands and Life Time Fitness. She also defended claims under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Fair Credit Billing Act, the Equal Credit Opportunity Act and the Truth in Lending Act, as well as state consumer-protection laws.
Erin represents clients across the United States and has litigated cases in state and federal courts in California, Connecticut, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
Prior to joining the firm, Erin clerked for the Honorable Matthew E. Johnson, Minnesota Court of Appeals. During law school, she clerked for the American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio and served as judicial extern to the Honorable Donald C. Nugent of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio.
- Klapmeier v. Cirrus Industries, Inc., 2015 WL 5194755 (Minn. App. Sept. 8, 2015). Representing Cirrus, successfully obtained reversal of $10 million jury verdict on non-disparagement claim, with direction to enter judgment for Cirrus.
- In re: Life Time Fitness, Inc., Telephone Consumer Protection Act Litig., 53 F. Supp. 3d 1378 (J.P.M.L. 2014). Representing Life Time Fitness, successfully sought consolidation for pretrial proceedings of four putative class actions alleging claims under the TCPA.
- Daniel v. Bluestem Brands, Inc., 2014 WL 81763 (E.D. Mich. Jan. 9, 2014). Representing Bluestem Brands, successfully moved to dismiss FCRA and state common-law claims.
- Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. v. Boedigheimer, 2013 WL 6569956 (Minn. Ct. App. Dec. 16, 2013). Representing Wells Fargo, successfully defended award of summary judgment.
- In re: Capital One Telephone Consumer Protection Act Litig., 908 F. Supp. 2d 1366 (J.P.M.L. 2012). Representing Capital One, successfully sought consolidation for pretrial proceedings of three putative class actions and dozens of individual actions alleging claims under the TCPA.
- Bohnhoff v. Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., 853 F. Supp. 2d 849 (D. Minn. 2012). Representing Wells Fargo, successfully moved to dismiss claims under the Minnesota Residential Originator and Servicing Licensing Act as preempted under the National Bank Act, as well as state common-law claims.
- Lansing v. Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., 2011 WL 6754083 (D. Minn. Dec. 23, 2011). Representing Wells Fargo, successfully obtained partial dismissal under Fed. R. Civ. P. 12(b)(6) on claims under the FDCPA and Minnesota Consumer Fraud Act.
- Bazil v. Wells Fargo Bank, 2011 WL 4442835 (D. Minn. Sept. 22, 2011). Representing Wells Fargo, obtained complete dismissal under Fed. R. Civ. P. 12(b)(6) on claims challenging foreclosure. Court held majority of claims were preempted by Home Owners' Loan Act and remainder failed as a matter of law.
- Minnesota State Bar Association — Consumer Litigation Section, Council Member; Appellate Practice Section
- Minnesota Court of Appeals, Hon. Matthew E. Johnson, 2008-10
- Supreme Court Review
Panelist, Faegre Baker Daniels, Minneapolis, 2016
- Navigating the TCPA Minefield
13th Annual Banking Law Institute, Minneapolis, 2016
- Behind the Scenes: Advice on Brief Writing
10th Annual Appellate Practice Institute, Minneapolis, 2016
- Defending and Avoiding Privacy Litigation
Faegre Baker Daniels, Minneapolis, 2015
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)
Panelist, Minnesota State Bar Association, Minneapolis, 2015
- Pro Se Project Consumer Rights Seminar
Minnesota Chapter, Federal Bar Association, Minneapolis, 2014
- Recent Developments in Credit Card and TCPA Litigation
10th Annual Banking Law Institute, Minneapolis, 2013
- The ABCs of Federal Consumer Credit Protection
Minnesota State Bar Association, Minneapolis, 2012
- How to Respond to a Qualified Written Request (QWR)
Iowa CLE, 2011
- Controversial FCC Order Interprets the Telephone Consumer Protection Act
Co-author, Law Week Colorado, Nov. 23, 2015