Joshua Colburn uses a collaborative approach to counsel clients in a variety of corporate matters such as corporate governance, capital-raising transactions, executive compensation, securities compliance, and mergers and acquisitions.
Joshua serves a number of public companies in all areas of compliance with applicable legal and regulatory requirements, including routine reporting and other interactions with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and related state authorities, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the NASDAQ and NYSE markets, and the over-the-counter markets.
Joshua also represents public and private buyers and sellers in various mergers and acquisitions. Representative transactions include the sale of Bluestem Brands, Inc. to Capmark Financial Group (now Bluestem Group Inc.), XRS Corporation's acquisitions of GeoLogic Solutions, Inc. and Turnpike Global Technologies, Inc. and the sale of XRS Corporation to Omnitracs LLC.
He also works with issuers and underwriters in connection with a variety of public and private debt and equity securities offerings, including registered direct offerings, private placements in public equity, underwritten offerings, bond issuances and various restructuring transactions.
In 2009, Joshua was one of four initial adjunct instructors of the University of Minnesota Law School's unique "Law in Practice" experiential learning course, and he continues to instruct the course each spring. The course is now required for all first-year J.D. students and focuses on client service functions, including client interview and counseling, witness interaction, settlement, mediation and negotiation skills.
Before joining Faegre Baker Daniels, Joshua was a law clerk in the Office of General Counsel at 3M Corporation and a judicial extern at the Minnesota Court of Appeals. Previously, he was a private technology consultant providing advisory and technical services to small and mid-sized businesses and nonprofit organizations.
- Minnesota Law Review Volume 91 Board Writing Award
- Three-time recipient of the Presidential Student Leadership and Service Award
- Paul A. Cartwright Award for Outstanding Public Service and Scholarship
- University of Minnesota Law School Public Service Program Honoree
- American Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Society of Corporate Secretaries & Governance Professionals
- University of Minnesota Law School — Adjunct Associate Professor
- United States of America, in International Securities Law Handbook, Co-Author
Marcus Best & Jean-Luc Soulier eds., 3d ed., 2010
- "Don't Read This if It's Not for You:" The Legal Inadequacies of Modern Approaches to E-Mail Privacy
91 Minn. L. Rev. 241, 2006