Doug has advised clients since 1978 on mergers and acquisitions, capital markets and securities matters in a broad range of industries. These include telecommunications, manufacturing, transportation, medical devices, technology, gaming, oil and gas, and mining. A former chairman of the Business Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association, Doug is widely recognized as one of the preeminent corporate lawyers in Colorado.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Doug has been actively involved as lead partner in a variety of domestic and international M&A transactions, including representation of public and private company sellers, buyers, private equity investors, management and special committees. He regularly advises public company boards of directors and committees on fiduciary duties in connection with M&A transactions.
M&A transactions that Doug has handled include a sale of a publicly traded healthcare information services company to a private equity firm and a competitively auctioned merger of a public medical products company with a multinational medical products company.
Capital Markets Transactions
Doug represents issuers and underwriters in all types of capital markets transactions, including public and private offerings of equity, debt, units, convertibles and hybrid securities. He has advised on:
- IPOs and underwritten follow-on offerings
- Confidentially-marketed public offerings
- Registered directs and at-the market (ATM) offerings
- Rule 144A and public debt offerings
- Private investments in public equity (PIPEs)
- Public exchange offers and tender offers
- Private placements
- Venture capital financings
- Over $10 billion of public offerings, acquisitions and debt financings
Doug has handled capital markets transactions for numerous clients, including The Spectranetics Corporation, Frontier Airlines and Piper Jaffray Incorporated. He has closed over $5 billion of Rule 144A offerings, debt financings and tender offers for client tw telecom inc.
Securities Regulation and Corporate Governance
Doug represents numerous public companies in their ongoing compliance with applicable legal and regulatory requirements. In this capacity, he advises companies in the areas of SEC periodic reporting, trading and disclosure practices, corporate governance matters, proxy regulation, Sarbanes-Oxley and Dodd-Frank Act compliance, stock exchange listing requirements and investor relations.
Doug has negotiated over $3 billion of domestic and international private equity investments on behalf of a large public investment fund and a private foundation. He has handled a number of commercial matters for telecom companies, including broadband network service agreements for multi-unit landlords and professional sports teams, negotiation of public-private partnership agreements with state departments of transportation, fiber optic lease and IRU agreements, and telecom equipment financing arrangements. In addition, Doug counsels clients on joint ventures, partnerships and limited liability companies, employee compensation issues, and credit agreements.
- Law Week Colorado — Best M&A Lawyer, 2009
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business — Corporate/M&A, 2005-14
- The Best Lawyers in America — Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Securities Law, 2006-15 (Denver Corporate Lawyer of the Year, 2011)
- Super Lawyers — Securities & Corporate Finance, 2006-14
- Corporate Counsel Black Book — 2007-08
- Denver Business Journal — Best of the Bar Award for Corporate, M&A and Securities, 2003
- Sungate Kids — Board of Directors
- Multiple Sclerosis Society of Colorado — Board (Past Chairman)
- American Diabetes Association, Colorado Affiliate, Inc. — Board (Past Chairman)
- This One's for You - Colorado Chapter of the National Association of Corporate Directors
Panelist, September 2013
- Key Issues Facing Boards of Directors: New SEC Enforcement Initiatives and Corporate Governance Risks
Corporate & Commercial Law Program, University of Denver Sturm College of Law, April 2013
- Navigating the Annual Report and Proxy Season
Faegre Baker Daniels Seminar, 2001-13
- Special Indemnification Issues
Faegre & Benson M&A Conference, 2010
- The Most Frequently Negotiated Terms in M&A Deals: What Each Side Can Expect to Receive in Today's Market
Mergers and Acquisitions - Colorado Corporate Practice Conference, 2008
- Securities Law Update: SEC Public Offering Reforms
Practicing Law Institute/Bowne, 2005
- Back to School: Director Education 2004
Faegre & Benson Seminar, 2004
- Current Trends in M&A Practice
Annual Business Law Institute, Colorado CLE, 2002
- Appeared on CNBC's "Squawkbox" regarding SEC Certification Requirements
- Moderator and Panelist
34th Annual Rocky Mountain Securities Conference, 2002
- Advising the Board of Directors in M&A Transactions
Introduction to Mergers & Acquisitions, Colorado CLE, 2002