Todd Langel is a member of the firm's agribusiness litigation and advocacy practice, representing clients in various matters throughout the country.
Todd is regularly involved in state and federal litigation across the country, as well as arbitration before the American Arbitration Association (AAA) and the National Grain and Feed Association (NGFA) and numerous other forums. Todd has extensive expertise in handling matters involving grain merchandising, commodity hedging and risk management, futures, options and derivatives. Todd also regularly counsels and represents clients with respect to the United States Grain Standards Act, and the Food Security act of 1985.and regulatory matters under the Packers and Stockyards Act.
Todd draws from his farm background and work experience in agricultural business and finance, which includes agricultural lending, livestock production and marketing, seed and crop production, and agricultural equipment. He has gained experience serving clients in the grain merchandising, livestock and biofuels sectors, as well as the biotechnology, seed, fertilizer, chemical and clean technology sectors.
Todd is a leader of the firm's grain and oilseeds, animal feed, beef and pork industry segments. Todd's involvement in these sectors includes representation of the nation's largest grain, feed, animal health, meat production and meat packing companies.
- Aurora Cooperative Elevator Company v. Aventine Renewable Energy Inc. et al, (National Grain and Feed Association Arbitration, March 19, 2014). Obtained arbitration award rejecting cooperative's claim of $1,699,152.33 and awarding client Aventine counterclaim damages of $417,665.49.
- Clasing et al v. Hormel Foods Corporation, (N.D. Iowa, March 14, 2014). Obtained defense verdict in favor of client Hormel Foods following four day jury trial after order on summary judgment materially limiting plaintiffs' claims (--- F.Supp.2d ----, 2014 WL 222651 (N.D.Iowa) (N.D.Iowa,2014).
- Jorgenson Farms v. Country Pride, 2012 SD 78, 2012 WL 5870585, 824 N.W.2d 410 (South Dakota 2012). Obtained summary judgment ruling on behalf of client Agrium, later affirmed by the South Dakota Supreme Court, dismissing contract, negligence and product defect claims related to urea used in the production of certified wheat seed.
- Cargill, Inc. v. Matt Ward and Charlie Ward d/b/a Premier Grain (NGFA No. 2287 (June 17, 2010). Successfully obtained NGFA Arbitration award of more than $1.9 million against Iowa producers following oral hearing in dispute arising out of breach of multiple grain contracts.
- Cargill, Inc. v. Luke W. Cure, d/b/a Suncure Farms and Gregory Cure, d/b/a Landmark Farms (NGFA No. 2217). Obtained NGFA Arbitration award of nearly $750,000 against Colorado partnerships following oral hearing in dispute arising out of breach of multiple grain contracts.
- Negotiated resolutions of commodity contract disputes involving the sale of corn to buyers in Georgia, the purchase of canola from sellers in North Dakota, the sale of weanling pigs to growers in Minnesota and the sale of soybean meal to a broker for delivery in MexicoEnforced purchase money and other security interests in livestock collateral by negotiating private sales of swine inventory collateral (Iowa) and asserting clients' rights to auction proceeds upon an attempted conversion of leased cattle (South Dakota).
- Obtained an order affirming an Iowa trial court's dismissal of collateral claims against bond proceeds for grain harvest and storage costs following attachment of on-farm grain inventory.
- Negotiated resolutions of multiple product liability and warranty claims brought against clients in the animal feed, seed, fertilizer and crop protection sectors.
- Faegre Baker Daniels — Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2014-15
- Great Plains Super Lawyers — Rising Star, Food and Drugs, Energy and Natural Resources, Business Litigation, 2015
- American Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- South Dakota State Bar Association
- Iowa Agribusiness Association
- Polk County Bar Association
- Commodity Market Roundtable
U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission, World Food Prize Headquarters, July 2015
- Grain Contracts, Crop Insurance, and Related Issues
Rural Attorneys and Agriuclture CLE, Drake University Agricultural Law Center, April 2013
- Marketing Disputes — Elevator Perspective
Dealing With the Drought: Legal Issues Facing Iowa Agriculture, Drake University Agriculture Law Center and Iowa State Bar Association Agriculture Committee, Des Moines, 2012
- Don't Get Flagged for a Penalty – GIPSA Proposed Rule: Producer and Packer Implications
Illinois Pork Expo, Peoria, Ill., 2011
- How Does Animal Agricultural Production Survive Today's Environmental Regulation?
Food, Agriculture & Biofuels 2010 National Conference, Minneapolis, 2010
- Identifying and Managing Counter-Party Risk
Purdue University Department of Agriculture Economics/Indiana Banker's Association 2009 Ag Clinic, Stewart Center, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind., 2009
- Avoiding a Bumper Harvest Train Wreck
Feed & Grain, October/November 2014
- Trade Partners, Industry Not Warm to COOL
Co-author with Brad McKinney, Feed & Grain, October/November 2013
- Harvest or Fallow Time for Farm Bill Reauthorization
Co-author with Brad McKinney, Feed & Grain, May 14, 2013
- Why 'Least Cost' Is the 'Best Value'
Co-author with Mark Carpenter, Feed & Grain, October 2012
- Legal Q&A: Nonconformity With Delivery Obligations Under NGFA Trade Rules
Feed & Grain, June/July 2012
- Documenting the Trade: Proper Contracting Procedure
The Art of Grain Merchandising, 2010
- Raining More Than Just Cats and Dogs: Regulatory Changes to Affect Entire Animal Feed Industry