Whether our client is a global firm concerned about transfer-pricing audits or a local charity seeking to preserve its exempt status, Faegre Baker Daniels attorneys draw on our technical knowledge of the tax laws and our practical experience with revenue agencies to provide legislative insights free from unintended and unforeseen consequences.
Our attorneys have a history of service in state and local governments. Our ranks have included governors, legislators, state attorneys general, mayors, economic development directors and state public finance directors. Members of our tax practice have served as state budget directors and Commissioners of Revenue. These close relationships with legislative and executive branch decision-makers allow us to act swiftly when our clients' interests are at stake.
Our tax attorneys have extensive experience seeking remedies through the state legislative and administrative rule-making processes. We collaborate with our colleagues in our government practice, and when a matter requires an integrated state-federal approach, we collaborate with our federal affairs division in Washington, D.C.—Faegre Baker Daniels Consulting.
Our clients—which have included multistate and multinational businesses, diversified industrial companies, green technology firms, trade associations and charitable organizations—rely on our expertise to:
- Monitor and provide timely information on new legislative developments and trends
- Monitor specific issues and legislative initiatives
- Build consensus and coalitions with other interested parties
- Draft proposed statutory provisions and supporting memoranda
- Communicate directly with legislative decision-makers
- Provide introductions to and schedule meetings with key tax policymakers
- Attend legislative hearings and, when necessary, testify on behalf of clients
- Serve as technical support to a client's representative or team of lobbyists