With a government-relations practice in Minnesota dating back to the early 1980s, Faegre Baker Daniels enjoys client relationships that span decades. Our professionals represent clients in front of the state legislature and state government agencies, as well as before county boards, city councils and other regional and local bodies.
We provide clients with a complete array of lobbying services, including developing legislative strategy and tactics; preparing lobbying materials; drafting legislation and amendments; recruiting bill authors; advocating our clients' position to legislators, legislative staff and the administration; attending committee hearings; and monitoring and reporting to clients with regard to legislative developments.
Our clients include individual corporations; business, trade and professional associations; and community and nonprofit organizations. We partner with clients in a number of industries, including banking, retail and real estate developers, financiers and architects. Our reach is national with clients coming from all over the country for legislative, regulatory and other legal needs in Minnesota. We also represent trade associations based in Washington, D.C., New York City and elsewhere.
With a senior group, some of our professionals have been representing clients in the legislature and other government circles their entire legal career. It's those relationships with government leaders that have established a reputation of integrity and trust.
- Represented Great River Energy, a wholesale electric service provider, providing strategic counsel and advocacy to support a resource recovery facility, reducing landfilling and maximizing the usefulness of existing solid waste
- Represented Target Corporation to advance proactive policy positions on a number of post-consumer waste issues — from light bulbs and e-waste to pharmaceuticals sold in its stores
- Represented the St. Paul Port Authority in obtaining $4 million in state funding for planning, design and preliminary engineering of a controversial energy project at a manufacturing plant
- Represented M.A. Mortenson Company with regard to authorization to construct a new hockey arena in St. Paul for the Minnesota Wild
- Represented the Minneapolis Downtown Council and the Minneapolis Regional Chamber of Commerce with regard to reform of Minnesota's property tax system, completion of the Minneapolis Convention Center and funding for light-rail transit
- Represented the Minnesota Private College Council with regard to funding and taxation issues affecting higher education
- Represented the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties, Minnesota Chapter, and the Minnesota Shopping Center Association with regard to reform of Minnesota's property tax system and relief for commercial industrial property taxpayers
- Represented the Mayo Clinic to secure approval of a $585 million public subsidy for development of Mayo's Destination Medical Center in Rochester