Jim Brotherson, a partner in the corporate and real estate practices at the South Bend office of Faegre Baker Daniels LLP, has been awarded an Indiana University Maurer School of Law Distinguished Service Award.
The Distinguished Service Award honors alumni who have made significant contributions to their communities and to the school. Candidates are nominated by fellow alumni and Maurer faculty and administration members. This year, Brotherson was one of three award recipients.
Brotherson, a 1978 Maurer School of Law graduate, has actively contributed to the growth of the school through service as a Board of Visitors member and as a president of the Law Alumni Board. His community involvement includes:
- Economic Development Corporation of Elkhart County—Board Member
- Northern Indiana Center for Hospice and Palliative Care—Board Member
- Greater Elkhart Chamber of Commerce—Board Member
- Samaritan Center of Elkhart—Past President
- The YMCA of Elkhart County—Past President
- Elkhart County Rotary Club—Past President
Brotherson has practiced law for 35 years, and has been with FaegreBD since 2000. His practice focuses on closely held businesses, and he has significant experience in real estate transactions and litigation. He also leads the firm's recreational vehicles industry team.
Prior to receiving his J.D. from the Indiana University Maurer School of Law, Brotherson earned an A.B. degree from Duke University.