Amy is driven by a desire to help innovative clients be rewarded for their creativity. She helped spearhead the development of patent law’s written description requirement so that the scope of protection in biotechnology patents appropriately matches the contribution of the inventor. This allows for competition and provides patients with more treatment options while protecting medicines from generic competition.
Intellectual Property Expertise
- Securing patents protecting human and animal pharmaceutical products.
- Patent litigation.
- Counseling clients on strategies to maximize intellectual property protection and freedom to operate in view of competitors’ intellectual property rights.
- Drafting policies, training and conducting internal investigations related to trade secrets.
- Influencing intellectual property law through amicus briefs and participation in trade associations.
Commercial and Contract Expertise
- Conducting due diligence on transactions involving IP and regulatory issues.
- Drafting and advising on intellectual property aspects of commercial contracts.
- Counseling on the rights and responsibilities incurred through existing agreements.
- Developing research and material transfer agreements between industry and other parties.
In-House Patent Experience
Amy retired from Eli Lilly and Company’s Patent Division in 2014 as Vice President and Deputy General Patent Counsel, ending a tenure with Lilly that began 32 years prior when she joined as a molecular biologist. Her responsibilities with Lilly throughout her career included:
- Counseling senior management on intellectual property strategies, including the IP aspects of major acquisitions.
- Developing IP litigation strategies.
- Managing patent portfolios, including international patent procurement and maintenance.
- Overseeing Hatch-Waxman and biotech litigations, including the seminal cases of the Regents of the University of California v. Eli Lilly and Company and Ariad v. Eli Lilly and Company.
Amy enjoys competitive crossword puzzle solving and is an aspiring novelist.