Technical and Industry Experience
Bert has prepared and prosecuted U.S. and international patent applications in both developed and developing countries for clients in various sectors and technologies, including:
- Biotechnology, including vaccines development against infectious diseases (e.g. bacterial, fungal and viral), neglected diseases (e.g. flaviviruses and alphaviruses) and cancer.
- Formulations for manufacturing and delivery of pharmaceutical agents,
- Immunology related technologies.
- Treatment and Prevention of Inflammatory-related Conditions
- Transplantation (e.g. organ, soft tissue and cellular) and GvHD.
- Pharmaceuticals (e.g. chemical, small molecule and biologics) and modes of administration.
- Secondary use of biologicals and pharmaceuticals.
- Oncology and genetic disorders.
- Recombinant technologies, gene editing and CRISPR technologies.
- Biofuels, including alternative fuels production in microorganisms.
- Agriculture, including transgenic plants.
- Veterinary medicines/treatments (e.g. large and small animal).
- Health supplements, nutrition substitutes and herbal medicines.
Intellectual Property Counsel
Bert performs IP due diligence; compiles and negotiates complex biotech license and assignment agreements and sponsored research agreements; counsels clients on joint venture agreements; performs freedom to operate assessments; supports on post-issuance proceedings, such as inter partes review (IPR) and ex parte reexaminations; compiles press releases related to intellectual property disclosures; and assists in the formation and development of start-up and spin-out companies.
Bert has also served as part of litigation teams enforcing and defending patent infringement and invalidity claims. Her experience has been utilized to analyze complex documents and assist in pre-litigation strategies; provide claim construction analysis, and validity and infringement analysis.