Walt assists clients on all aspects of patent-related legal issues encountered in their businesses. He has particular experience in post-grant proceedings. This expertise includes:
- Prosecuting post-grant proceedings including inter partes reviews, covered business method reviews, reexaminations and reissue patent applications.
- Developing and implementing business programs to identify, evaluate and protect valuable inventions.
- Assessing and rendering opinions on the patentability of inventions.
- Building worldwide patent portfolios.
- Assessing and rendering opinions on the validity and infringement risks of patents.
- Assessing and rendering opinions on patent design-around opportunities.
- Conducting freedom to operate evaluations.
Walt prosecutes patent applications in a range of electrical, mechanical, software and business method technologies, including:
- Medical devices, technology and informatics.
- Disk drives and components.
- Optical image processing.
- RF and other wireless communication systems.
- Integrated circuits and MEMS devices.
- 3D Printing
- Semiconductor devices and manufacturing processes.
- Construction equipment.
- Software-controlled machines.
- Financial services.
- Laser imaging systems.
- Food products and packaging.
- Radar systems.
Walt understands that patents and other intellectual property are assets that can optimize the value of a business in various ways. He advises clients on IP-related business transactions, including:
- Negotiating and preparing patent, trademark, trade secret and copyright license agreements.
- Negotiating and preparing joint development agreements involving intellectual property.
- Conducting IP due diligence in mergers and acquisitions.
- Advising boards of directors on intellectual property.
- Negotiating and preparing sponsored research agreements.