Patrick’s complex litigation experience includes:
- Acting as national coordinating counsel to clients defending against mass torts, including managing thousands of cases, formulating strategies to attack and pare down the plaintiffs’ allegations, developing the company case, selecting and working up bellwether trials, structuring and negotiating global settlements, and supervising local counsel
- Taking and defending fact and expert witness depositions
- Drafting dispositive motions, including Daubert, summary judgment, trial briefs and appellate briefs
- Oral arguments and hearings
- Mediation and negotiation (from pre-suit resolution to global settlements)
Patrick has represented national and international manufacturers of a variety of products in state and federal courts across the United States and in Canada. His representation ranges from single-plaintiff cases to class actions to MDLs.
Patrick has particular experience defending Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 drug and device manufacturers in mass torts. His pharmaceutical experience includes drugs, reagents, vaccines, injections and therapeutics for treatments such as arthritis, erectile dysfunction, protein buildup and other conditions. His device and diagnostic experience includes joint implants, IVC filters, pelvic mesh, pain pumps and IV tubing. Patrick also represents clients in product liability litigation related to human tissue and allograft.
Patrick also defends national and international manufacturers in the automotive, marine and watercraft, recreational vehicle, and transportation industries. Clients he represents in this space include a Fortune 500 manufacturer of engines, filtration and power generation products, one of North America’s largest producers of semi-trailers, one of the world’s largest manufacturers of snowmobiles, ATVs and neighborhood electric vehicles, and one of the world’s largest beverage companies.
Patrick litigates sports law matters from contract disputes to class actions. His expertise includes collegiate athletics, Olympic sports and esports, and he has represented:
- The National Football League (NFL)
- The National Hockey League (NHL)
- The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)
- USA Track and Field
- Diadora Shoe Company
Patrick passionately promotes diversity in the legal field through mentorship and leadership in legal organizations.
Patrick enjoys advising sports entities, but also likes to personally get into the game. At Butler University, Patrick served as captain of the varsity men’s soccer team and earned ESPN Academic All-American Honors.