Brian's experience includes serving as the COO and Chief Legal Officer during 2012 for one of the country's leading health care franchisors. In the role, he led the company's field operations team and the franchise administration and legal groups.
With this unique legal and business background, Brian counsels both emerging and mature franchisors ranging from companies with thousands of locations worldwide to companies in the initial stages of building franchise systems. He advises clients that operate in dozens of industries where franchising plays a key role in the U.S. and global economies.
Brian leads FaegreBD’s franchise and distribution practice.
An Influential Thought Leader
Brian’s expertise is based on years of working closely with clients — getting to know them and their businesses, goals and objectives. He listens, asks questions and works diligently to find solutions and approaches that work for franchisors.
Brian's experience includes:
- Structuring domestic and international franchise programs — single unit, multi-unit, area director and master franchise
- International expansion
- Franchise mergers and acquisitions/due diligence
- Drafting and registering FDDs and related franchise documents
- Franchise sales compliance, financial performance representations and lead referral networks
- Supply chain, product distribution and vendor programs, including franchisor rebate programs
- System expansion/"encroachment"
- Franchise advisory councils and independent franchise associations
- Trademark and brand protection, marketing and advertising
- National accounts
- System standards compliance
- Default and termination, post-termination issues