Carrie collaborates with clients on matters such as:
- Forming new entities and applying for recognition of tax-exempt status
- Developing governance structures, including drafting and revising bylaws and corporate policies
- Analyzing the permissibility of lobbying and issue advocacy campaigns
- Evaluating programs for unrelated business income tax liability
- Advising on the federal tax status implications of certain activities including the monetization of assets
- Conducting transactions with for-profit organizations
- Utilizing affiliated and subsidiary structures
- Funding innovative research ventures
- Responding to the IRS and state charity regulators during investigations
- Providing guidance on international operations and philanthropy
Social Enterprise Expertise
Carrie also works with social enterprise organizations, including those using new legal structures to pursue mission-driven work, and nonprofit organizations engaged in social impact investing and program related investments.
Carrie has a rich understanding of nonprofit organizations from her background working in-house at the Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation, co-founding and leading Cambodia’s Children Education Fund, teaching nonprofit law, and serving with the Public International Law and Policy Group. Prior to law school, Carrie taught fifth grade in The Bronx through Teach for America.
- American University Washington College of Law — Adjunct Professor of Law in Nonprofit Law