Carrie also serves new and established nonprofit organizations as outside general counsel on tax, governance, contracting and operations matters while leveraging Faegre Baker Daniels' extensive legal and government relations teams to provide comprehensive and efficient solutions to clients’ needs.
Carrie advises and advocates for nonprofit clients on matters including:
- Formation and tax-exemption applications
- Governance structures (e.g., bylaws, corporate policies, and codes of conduct and ethics)
- Board of directors and membership counseling and training
- Lobbying and issue advocacy campaigns and political campaign engagement
- Tax compliance and private rulings
- Unrelated business income tax liability
- Joint ventures with nonprofit and for-profit organizations
- Major corporate transactions (e.g., nonprofit mergers and acquisitions, dissolutions, and the use of affiliated and subsidiary structures)
- Grantmaking and fundraising compliance
- Responses to the IRS and state charity regulators during investigations
- International operations
- Nonprofit organization controversies and disputes
Lobbying, Political Activities and Entity Affiliations
Tax-exempt organizations are permitted to engage in varying levels of lobbying and political campaign activities. Understanding these limits and utilizing affiliated structures allows organizations to scale their impact. Carrie guides organizations in the creation and operation of affiliated structures to utilize each tax status effectively (e.g., 501(c)(3)/(4) and 501(c)(3)/(6) affiliations). Additionally, Carrie frequently advises nonprofit organizations on lobbying activity compliance under the Internal Revenue Code and applicable federal and state lobbying laws. She counsels nonprofit organizations on engaging in the political process including the making of political campaign contributions.
Trade and Professional Associations
Carrie provides governance, tax, structuring and corporate transaction advice to trade and professional association clients of a variety of sizes and focus areas. Her association clients also benefit from working with Carrie’s FaegreBD colleagues on antitrust compliance, government relations and contracts, labor and employment issues, intellectual property management, real estate holdings, litigation, and others matters for comprehensive legal support.
International Transactions and Philanthropy
Building on her international work experience, Carrie supports domestic and foreign organizations – both nonprofit and for-profit public and private companies – operating internationally in a variety of ways.
For nonprofit organizations and philanthropists, Carrie provides advice on:
- International operations, grantmaking and development activities
- Formation and use of “friends of” organizations
- OFAC and FCPA compliance
- Coordination with local counsel
For public and private companies engaged in international transactions, Carrie advises on international trade compliance and CFIUS filings.
Nonprofit Service & Experience
Carrie has a rich understanding of nonprofit organizations from her background working for and with a variety of nonprofit organizations including the Public International Law and Policy Group and the Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation. Carrie also co-founded Cambodia’s Children Education Fund. Prior to law school, Carrie taught fifth grade in The Bronx through Teach for America.
American University Washington College of Law — Adjunct Professor of Law in Nonprofit Law