In-House Counsel Experience
Before joining Faegre Baker Daniels, Jay was an executive at UnitedHealth Group, holding a variety of positions over his 13-year tenure, including:
- General Counsel of OptumRx, providing pharmacy benefits management and pharmacy care services.
- General Counsel of UnitedHealthcare Employer & Individual, the company’s commercial health insurance business.
- Deputy General Counsel, UnitedHealthcare Mergers & Acquisitions, overseeing legal support for UnitedHealthcare’s M&A activity and other strategic transactions (joint ventures, affiliation agreements, etc.).
As in-house counsel at the nation’s largest health care services and health insurance company, Jay advised senior business leaders across a wide variety of complex matters in the pharmacy benefit management, health insurance and health care services industries, including:
- Compliance program development and implementation.
- Customer and vendor contracts and negotiations.
- Government investigations.
- Litigation and pre-litigation strategies in both the private and government sectors.
- Strategic transactional matters, including mergers and acquisitions.
- Privacy issues.
- State and federal regulatory matters.
Jay has become a trusted advisor with in-house legal, compliance and regulatory leaders through his skill at identifying and implementing legal and business concepts — and his success as a collaborator focused on building and maintaining relationships.
When not working or simply spending time with his wife and twin boys, Jay enjoys golfing, the outdoors, traveling and reading (usually science fiction or fantasy). One of Jay's favorite places to be is Scooty Lake in Northern Minnesota, where he celebrates the Fourth of July each year with 100 of his closest family members ... and no cell service.