The City of Highland Park, Michigan was facing challenges in managing the operations and maintenance of its water and wastewater system. Faegre Baker Daniels Consulting principal Skip Stitt helped the city develop a public-private partnership that would save money and improve utility-related services.
Results from the first two years of contract operations were impressive and included:
- Improved environmental and safety compliance
- A City-wide meter replacement program
- A new Customer Service Center so customers can now pay their bills online or using a credit card
- A new electronic meter reading solution so that bills are now sent to customers on a monthly basis
- Total annual billings of about $6.5 million — an improvement on the sporadic billing and collection activity that preceded contract operations