In a data-driven world with an increasingly complex web of privacy and security laws, companies face significant compliance challenges and litigation risks. Evaluating and addressing privacy and cybersecurity needs before problems arise is more important than ever. Faegre Baker Daniels’ interdisciplinary team of litigators and transactional, health care, financial services and intellectual property attorneys advises companies of all sizes on managing cybersecurity and data protection, responding to security breach incidents and effectively litigating privacy-related disputes.
Our knowledgeable team includes two information privacy professionals certified by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), a former national security lawyer, and a former federal attorney and cybercrime specialist for the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ).
Our Comprehensive Services
We collaborate with clients and professionals across the firm to provide full service and strategy on privacy and cybersecurity matters, including:
- Counseling on compliance with the full range of state, federal and international privacy and cybersecurity laws and regulations
- Assisting with international transactions, global data transfers and international business operations
- Guiding clients through the full life cycle of a security breach, from prevention and mitigation to investigation and notification
- Representing companies in consumer class action and business-to-business privacy-related litigation and during government investigations and enforcement actions
Our Extensive Privacy Expertise
Our privacy expertise extends across the spectrum of industries and company needs. Our litigation experience includes defending class actions arising out of security breaches and under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), as well as defending against claims based on state invasion of privacy, right of publicity and other torts. We also have experience counseling:
- Financial services organizations on protecting financial data
- Colleges, universities and K-12 educators on protecting student records and information
- Health care providers, research institutions and health information technology companies on compliance with the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA) and Health Information Technology for Economic & Clinical Health Act (HITECH)
- Employers on workplace privacy, security of employee data and health information, and social media privacy
- Retailers and other businesses on protecting consumer privacy in e-commerce, outsourcing, mobile marketing and online behavioral advertising
- Media companies on invasion of privacy, data privacy and access to information issues
Federal Affairs and Consulting Services
Our legal professionals work closely with our privacy, data security and cybersecurity professionals at Faegre Baker Daniels Consulting, the firm’s national advisory and advocacy division based in Washington, D.C. This allows us to integrate public policy, legislative and regulatory considerations into our delivery of legal services.