Shawn Doorhy regularly advises clients on complex matters relating to construction and real estate. Shawn’s practice involves counseling in connection with drafting and negotiating all types of construction contracts, as well as addressing disputes concerning matters such as construction defects, project claims, mechanic's liens, breach of contract, insurance coverage, commercial mortgage foreclosures, commercial leases, eminent domain, product liability and other discrete real estate issues. Shawn represents owners, developers, contractors, subcontractors, landlords, tenants, condominium and homeowner associations, lenders, and court-appointed receivers nationally.
Shawn has first-chair trial experience in a variety of real estate matters. He also served on a trial team that pursued to verdict a general contractor's $4.2 million claim against INDOT on a state highway project. Shawn's litigation experience also includes, among other things, all levels of drafting, arguing, analysis, discovery and motion practice attendant to representing clients in matters such as:
- Serving as lead appellate counsel at the Illinois Supreme Court for homebuilder in dispute with buyer over implied warranties — Fattah v. Bim, 2016 IL 119365 (2016).
- Defending a national builder/developer against defective work, express/implied warranty, and various condominium association related claims in Illinois.
- Defending a builder/developer in arbitration against subcontractor claims for nonpayment and pursuing counterclaims for defective work on a multi-family development in Louisiana.
- Pursuing a commercial landlord's $8.5 million breach of lease, veil piercing, fraud, successor liability and fraudulent transfer claims in a landlord/tenant dispute involving an 800,000 sq. ft. distribution warehouse in Indiana.
- Pursuing a contractor's claims against a defaulting owner in arbitration in Wisconsin.
- Pursuing commercial lender claims in mortgage foreclosure actions involving residential multi-family developments and commercial shopping centers in Indiana.
- Representing a court-appointed receiver in a foreclosure suit involving a multi-family development in Indiana.
- Defending a global gas and injection technology supplier against defective product, wrongful death and injury claims following an electric arc furnace explosion in Indiana.
- Defending a commercial landowner and mortgagee against quiet title claims.
- Pursuing an owner's $15 million massive subsurface defect claims concerning a 200,000-square-foot manufacturing facility against construction project participants and insurers.
- Serving as lead trial and appellate counsel for owner in quiet title dispute securing affirmance of dismissal at trial level on basis of laches defense — Suski v. Nutt, 2014 IL App (2d) 121185-U, 2014 WL 5308103 (2d Dist. 2014).
- Enforcing restrictive covenants on behalf of homeowner association in preliminary injunction proceedings.
Shawn has drafted and negotiated contract terms for various types of commercial construction projects, including a $3.6 million façade repair project on condominium tower, a $3.7 million window replacement project on condominium tower, a $1 million+ warehouse subsurface repair project, and numerous trade subcontracts, existing client service contracts and settlement agreements attendant to dispute resolution.
Shawn holds the LEED® Green Associate accreditation from the U.S. Green Building Institute, which demonstrates knowledge of good environmental practice and skill, and reflects an understanding and support of green design, construction and operations. Shawn has experience assisting construction industry clients with the unique legal challenges presented in green building.
- Faegre Baker Daniels — Baker Benson Pro Bono Award, 2016
- Illinois Leading Lawyers — Emerging Lawyers, Construction Law, Commercial Real Estate Law, 2015-16
- LEED® Green Associate — U.S. Green Building Certification Institute
- Sigma Delta Pi
- Boy Scouts of America — Eagle Scout Award
- Faegre Baker Daniels — Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2015-16
- American Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association — Vice-Chair, Real Property Law — Construction Law & Mechanic's Lien Subcommittee
- Chicago Building Congress
- Association of Condominium, Townhouse & Homeowners Associations
- U.S. Green Building Council — Illinois Chapter (USGBC-IL)
- Lake Forrest Homeowners Association — President, Architectural Review Committee
- Risk Management in Multifamily Construction
Faegre Baker Daniels Construction Law Seminar, November 2015
- Current Issues in Sustainable Design and Construction
Half Moon Education, Inc., October 2013
- Collaborative Construction: Ways to Work Together to Decrease Risk and Increase Reward
Moderator, Faegre Baker Daniels Construction Law Seminar, October 2012
- Legal Concerns in Green Building
Indiana Subcontractor's Association, May 2012