The Indianapolis Colts and Faegre Baker Daniels LLP are partnering for a weeklong celebration of "Read Across America" in central Indiana on Feb. 25-March 1, 2013.
In support of his strong commitment to promoting literacy, Blue, the official mascot of the Colts, is visiting 10 Indiana schools in the week leading up to the birthday of children's book author Dr. Seuss. At each school, Blue and his emcee read a Dr. Seuss book to students, with Blue bringing it to life in his own over-the-top way to emphasize both the importance and fun of reading.
Colts players are also attending several of the readings along with representatives from Faegre Baker Daniels, which has donated books to each school's library. Each child attending is receiving a bookmark to reinforce the message after Blue departs. The program is presented at no cost to schools through the support of Faegre Baker Daniels.
Schools and cities on the tour include:
- Monday, February 25 – Hendricks Elementary in Shelbyville and Van Buren Elementary in Plainfield
- Tuesday, February 26 – Waverly Elementary and Poston Road Elementary in Martinsville
- Wednesday, February 27 – Amy Beverland Elementary and St. Luke Catholic School in Indianapolis
- Thursday, February 28 – Bunker Hill Elementary and August South Elementary in Indianapolis
- Friday, March 1 – Wheeler Elementary in Speedway and Winding Ridge School of Inquiry and Performing Arts in Indianapolis
"Read Across America" is a national initiative established to commemorate Dr. Seuss' birthday and motivate students to enjoy reading. The reading tour is part of an ongoing partnership between the Colts and Faegre Baker Daniels to promote literacy in Indiana. In the past, the two organizations have partnered for similar school tours and have hosting Family Reading Nights at Indianapolis community centers.