Maximizing the value of customer data and analytics insights is a priority for any franchisor and its franchise network. Failing to harness the power of data can be a significant competitive disadvantage in today’s digital economy. Join Faegre Baker Daniels’ franchise webinar series for insights into leveraging data in safe and compliant ways.
Franchisors using data must comply with constantly evolving domestic and international laws, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), new global privacy standards that take effect in 2018. The GDPR potentially applies to U.S.-based franchise operations which sell to or perform data analytics on EU customers, whether or not the business has a presence in the EU.
At the same time, recent cyberattacks and data breaches underline the vulnerability of many organizations and the growing importance of data as a core business asset.
In part one of the franchise webinar, on September 14, 2017, we covered compliance issues, including:
• How to review and update your data collection and data handling practices
• Changes to regional or global privacy notices and marketing consents
• The impact of the new EU laws on your internal processes and systems
• Data ownership and how to allocate responsibilities and potential liabilities between franchisor and franchisee
• Key stakeholders in the business who need to be aware of the changes and the steps to take now to get ready
• International data transfer laws and how they apply to your customer and employee data
In part two of the webinar, on October 25, 2017, we will discuss security issues, including:
• What every business should do to prepare for the next cyberattack
• Roles and responsibilities of franchisors and franchisees in setting and maintaining security standards
• How to integrate the security practices of franchisors and franchisees
• Key issues in dealing with multiple legacy systems and standards
• Allocating liability for data breaches
An application for standard Continuing Legal Education (CLE) credit will be submitted.
Questions? Contact Mesha Hegna at +1 612 766 7145 or mesha.hegna@FaegreBD.com.