Charles advises clients on federal income tax issues related to mergers and acquisitions, partnerships, debt and equity offerings, leasing transactions, stock option plans, and executive compensation.
Charles works extensively with partnerships and limited liability companies on tax issues and in preparing and negotiating partnerships or LLC agreements.
Private Equity and Venture Capital
Charles works with private equity and venture capital funds on their fund formation documents and the tax aspects of forming private equity and venture capital funds, the tax issues specific to both fund sponsors and investors, and the tax aspects of private equity transactions, mergers and acquisitions. In addition, Charles reviews fund documents for investors in connection with their pre-investment diligence review.
Oil and Gas/Energy
Charles focuses a significant portion of his practice on the energy industry. He has advised on:
- The sale and purchase of oil and gas properties
- Land acquisition, exploration and development agreements, and farmout agreements
- Structuring and documentation of volumetric production payments
- Private equity funding for oil and gas projects
- Senior secured and mezzanine credit facilities collateralized by oil and gas upstream or midstream assets