Wage and Hour
Ted guides clients through compliance issues and defends claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and state wage and hour laws. He defends against individual and collective lawsuits, defends Department of Labor (DOL) and state audits and investigations, and conducts internal audits of pay practices and policies.
Employment Discrimination, Retaliation and Harassment
Ted defends employers against employment discrimination, retaliation and harassment charges and lawsuits. He represents employers before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and state and local civil rights enforcement agencies and conducts internal investigations.
Ted has litigated hundreds of claims in federal and state courts under:
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- OSHA retaliation/whistleblower claims
- Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA benefit, Section 510 and COBRA claims)
- State civil rights laws
Employment Counseling Experience
Ted talks with — not at — clients. He works cooperatively with employers to prevent disputes and train human resources professionals. He counsels on:
- Wage and hour compliance
- Employee discipline and termination
- ADA reasonable accommodation
- Drafting employment agreements
- Preparing termination severance agreements
- Drafting and reviewing employee handbooks and policies
- Reduction in force and Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act planning
- Background check compliance under the Fair Credit Report Act (FCRA)
Ted loves international travel and experiencing new cultures. He has visited over 30 countries and six continents — including Antarctica!