In her legal practice, Gina helps health care and nonprofit organizations navigate regulatory complexity and manage legal risk. She takes a pragmatic, business-focused approach to client counseling and advising.
Health Care and Exempt Organizations Expertise
In the health care space, Gina advises on:
- Health information privacy and security.
- Compliance with fraud and abuse prevention laws, including the federal Anti-Kickback statute, Stark Law, False Claims Act, Physician Payments Sunshine Act and similar state laws.
- Compliance with facility and individual practitioner licensure requirements
- Internal investigations and actions brought by the Office of Inspector General, Department of Justice, Office of Civil Rights and Minnesota Attorney General.
- Mergers, acquisitions, and forming and restructuring joint ventures, subsidiaries and other affiliates.
Gina counsels exempt organizations on:
- Maintaining tax-exempt status, complying with the private foundation excise tax rules and avoiding excess benefit transactions.
- Charitable solicitation laws.
- Corporate transactions, including the formation of for-profit and nonprofit subsidiaries.
- IRS audits.
- Corporate governance, fiduciary duties, executive compensation and managing conflicts of interest.
- Administration of endowment funds and other restricted gifts.