Health Care Regulatory Compliance
Steve provides advice to a wide variety of health care entities, from solo practitioners to pharmacy chains, large integrated delivery systems and Medicare Advantage plans.
Steve’s expertise includes the following topics:
- Compliance programs, audits and investigations related to fraud and abuse issues, including the False Claims Act, HIPAA, Stark Law and the Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Reimbursement and billing compliance issues, including those related to Medicare, Medicaid and Tricare.
- Investigations involving billing compliance issues, drug diversions, and other fraud and abuse issues
- Pharmacy and telepharmacy issues.
- Indian Health Law and self-governance compact issues.
- Critical Access Hospital issues including Method II billing and 340B Program issues.
- Licensing standards.
- Patient privacy compliance, including privacy breach audits and investigations.
- Physician transaction documents and negotiations, including professional services agreements (PSAs) between hospitals and physicians.
- Drug compounding, drug diversions.
- Medicare Advantage plans.
- Assisted Living Facilities and Home Health issues.
After starting his legal career in the Army Judge Advocate General's Corps, Steve served as an assistant attorney general for the state of Minnesota. More recently, he was in-house counsel and chief compliance officer for a large regional health care system.