His expertise includes:
- Building and managing cost-effective global IP strategies and portfolios to advance clients' business objectives.
- Completing freedom-to-operate investigations.
- Drafting patent non-infringement and invalidity opinions.
- Counseling clients on trade secret protection.
- Conducting IP due diligence for complex corporate transactions.
- Negotiating and drafting IP agreements.
- Supporting and settling patent and trade secret litigation and other disputes, including inter partes patent re-examinations.
In-House Counsel Experience
Bill leverages his prior in-house counsel experience to anticipate, understand and meet client needs, particularly related to business and product/product development concerns. Before joining Faegre Baker Daniels in 2000, he was a senior intellectual property attorney at Imation Corp, where he counseled several operational divisions and staff groups and oversaw many aspects of intellectual property, with an emphasis on global IP strategy, portfolio management, agreements and litigation management; patent opinions and prosecution; and trade secret protection. He negotiated and prepared a variety of IP agreements, including joint development, license, mergers and acquisitions, and confidentiality documents.
Before Imation, Bill was a product and process development engineer at 3M for nine years, leading several business initiatives. After earning his law degree, he worked at 3M as a patent attorney. By combining new legal skills with professional business and technology experiences, Bill communicated and worked with 3M's business leaders, technology experts and inventors.