China Law Expertise
Lee advises companies conducting business in China on matters such as:
- Structuring, negotiating and documenting international technology licensing arrangements, acquisitions, joint ventures and establishing wholly foreign-owned enterprises
- Negotiating, drafting and complying with PRC regulatory requirements of various commercial contracts, including franchising deals
- Food safety regulatory compliance issues in connection with their market entry and operations in China, and conducting food safety-related investigations
- Representing top international architecture and engineering firms in structuring, negotiating and drafting over $5 billion of design agreements in the development of landmark buildings in China
- PRC intellectual property rights enforcement and litigation matters
- Cross-border data transfer, data privacy and cybersecurity issues
- Compliance on labor and customs matters
- Lobbying Chinese authorities on foreign investment approvals and other regulatory matters
- Conducting due diligence and internal corporate investigations, including in relation to the FCPA
- Dispute settlement and bankruptcy proceedings
- Offshore M&A transactions and litigations by Chinese clients
Lee works with clients in the telecommunications, chemical, pharmaceutical, medical devices, food and agribusiness, automotive, manufacturing, architectural, hospitality, insurance and finance industries.
Before joining Faegre Baker Daniels, Lee was the principal Chinese lawyer in the Shanghai office of another U.S. law firm. He previously served as editor of the largest legal dictionary in China.
- Fudan University School of Law — Assistant Professor of Law, 1990-92